Pages

Saturday, August 13, 2011

Pottery: Turquoise and Red Brown

I am slowly working through taking images of my pottery and editing them. This morning I sat outside taking pictures of about half of the pots I made in my ceramics class this summer. Just like with photography, I am a beginner at ceramics. The pot shown in the following pictures flew off the wheel while I was trimming the foot and got a nice, little indention on the rim.



 The indention can be seen very clearly in the following picture.

One thing I learned in ceramics is that something that may be a mess up can actually be an attribute. Whether or not you look at the indention as an attribute is up to you, but every time I look at this pot I see the whole chain of events replaying in my mind.

 My professor said that pots will go flying every now and then and it happens to all ceramic artists. He told a pretty funny story concerning a large pot, an electric wheel, a demonstration for high school students, and a foot that accidentally stepped on the presser foot.

I had forgotten to dip the bottom in paraffin wax before I glazed the pot. I had to rub off the glaze, which is why the surface has turquoise in the indentions. I like how that mistake turned out as well. Mistakes can be very beneficial and one of my favorite pots from the semester comes from a big mess up.



No comments:

Post a Comment